Pair with Reds
Sausage & Saffron Risotto
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, heated
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp mince garlic
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup Italian white wine
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 140 grams dry italian sausge, cut into 1/4-inch coins
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir saffron into hot stock and let sit 5 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and rice.
- Cook rice until edges become translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and continue cooking until no liquid remains.
- Add 1/2 cup stock to rice and simmer, stirring constantly until no liquid remains.
- Continue to add stock and cook, 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is creamy and cooked through, adding additional stock if necessary.
- Stir in sausage and cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Optional add-ins to stir in at the end: chopped herbs, sautéed mushrooms or greens.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device