Pair with Sparkling
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm whole milk
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Granulated or icing sugar for coating
- Optional add-ins:
- ¼ cup finely chopped candied peel
- ½ cup rum soaked raisins
- (To make warm 1 cup rum in small pot, bring to a simmer, pour over raisins and let soak overnight. Drain.)
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over milk and let sit until foamy, about 5 min.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour with sugar, and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into yeast and milk until a sticky dough forms.
- Stir in add-ins as desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for approx 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Heat 4 inches of oil in a deep pot to 350F.
- Dust hands with flour and pick up small pieces of the dough, dropping gently into hot oil.
- Do not crowd the pot.
- As fritelle brown, turn them once to allow sides to brown evenly, approximately 1-2 min per side.
- Remove using slotted spoon and toss in sugar.
- Place on rack to cool.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device