Pair with Reds
- 2 large eggplants
- 3-4 crushed tomatos
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- ½ parmesan cheese, grated
- 2-3 sprigs of basil
- Slice the eggplants into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lay the slices on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- Place another paper towel on top of slices.
- Place plates on top of slices to weigh them down.
- Let stand for an hour to release bitter residue.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high.
- Working in batches, place eggplant sliced in a single layer in frying pan.
- Fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Place fried eggplant on a plate and continue frying remaining eggplant slices, using more olive oil as needed.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Pour remaining oil in frying pan and adding garlic and onion.
- Cook until onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatos and stir to combine.
- Let sauce simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place a few tablespoons of sauce in the bottom of a 9-inch cast iron pan.
- Place alternating layers of eggplant slices and tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle both cheeses on top layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with torn basil leaves right before serving.
- Serves 4-6.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device